11.20.2009

Ford's Chicken Chili

You can feel the change that happens when deer hunting season rolls around in Wisconsin. Visitors come from out of town and don’t know how to get anywhere, there is way too much blaze orange walking around, and all the businesses change their signs to read “Good Luck Hunters!”

For me, it means shopping. Ever since I was little my mom and I have gone shopping together while the guys are out hunting. For the past three years, however, we haven’t been able to since I was in California. I am so excited to go this year. Other than shopping, the weekend also means that I’m cooking up something delicious for the hunters. My favorite is a chicken chili recipe my family has been making for years. I’m not sure where it came from, but it’s delicious every time I make it. With jalapeños, carrots, onions, peppers, and mushrooms (local as much as possible, of course), it requires a lot of chopping, but the end result it more than worth it. The recipe below creates a very mild chili, so if you like it hotter, add more chili powder or another jalapeño. This year, I made a double recipe in a big stock pot and am sending it along in a crock pot so they can plug it in before they leave in the morning and have warm chili when they get back. I also made a loaf of cast-iron pot bread and a lot of chocolate chip cookies. If you do this for your hunters, make sure to send along a brick of sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese for them to shred on top of the warm chili. To everyone going hunting, good luck and be safe! For those who aren’t, have a great weekend!

Ford’s Chicken Chili

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 cloves garlic
4-5 tsp chili powder
4 tsp cumin
2 green bell peppers, chopped into large chunks
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
½ stick of butter
28 oz can diced tomatoes
28 oz can tomato puree
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
2 tbsp brown sugar

In a large stock pot, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin. Sauté just until cooked through. Remove from the stock pot and set aside. In the same pot, add the butter, 2 tsp of chili powder, and 2 tsp cumin. Add the green peppers, onions, remaining garlic, mushrooms, and carrots and sauté about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients: tomatoes, tomato puree, beans, brown sugar, and rest of spices. Simmer for 3 hours. Season with salt, pepper, and additional chili powder and cumin to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very yummy! I've never made a chicken chili before - only ground turkey or beef. I'm adding this to my list to try!

    ReplyDelete