4.15.2012

Broccoli Mint Pesto

The rain has finally left us and this weekend has been absolutely beautiful! Even though Chris & I planned to plant our garden boxes next weekend, I couldn't help but plant something today while he was out of town. While on my Sunday errands, I picked up zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber, and cilantro from my local nursery and planted them in the ground this afternoon. I also finished a Meyer lemon thyme sorbet (more on that in a later post) and made mango chutney (to use this week with dinners). A few days ago, I picked up ingredients for a slightly modified version of a broccoli pesto I read about online and I was really excited to make it today. Basil isn't quite ready yet, and while I enjoy the arugula and cilantro pestos, I was ready for something different. And this is!

The mint and parsley add a beautiful vibrant flavor and it is super garlicky - just the way I like it. Tossed with whole wheat penne and topped with grated Parm and toasted hazelnuts, it is a perfect dinner for a summer evening. And, if I didn't have to pick Chris up from the airport later, I would definitely be pairing this with a glass of 2008 Clos du Val Chardonnay that is patiently resting in my wine fridge right now.

Enjoy!

Broccoli Mint Pesto
Makes about 2 cups

1/4 c plus two tbsp blanched hazelnuts
2 c broccoli florets
1 1/2 c parsley leaves, loosely packed
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c mint leaves, loosely packed
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
5 large garlic cloves, peeled (if you prefer a less garlicky flavor, use 3-4 cloves)
Salt & fresh ground pepper

Toast hazelnuts in skillet over medium heat until golden and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes, shaking the skillet often. Cool, chop coarsely, and set aside.

Bring large pot of water to a boil with a pinch of kosher salt. Cook broccoli in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer with a slotted spoon to the food processor

Pulse broccoli, hazelnuts, parsley, olive oil, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, and garlic in food processor until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Toss with pasta, spread on crostini or crackers, whatever you like!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post .i hope everybody will like your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    best regards

    Ania, TastyQuery.com

    ReplyDelete